Sunday, April 7, 2013

Steptoe's Yard

A few weeks ago my friends Kristal and Pam were telling me all about the treasures they have been finding in and around Aberdeen through auctions, thrift and antique stores.  I am always a little hesitant when it comes to things like this but when I saw the pictures of their recent purchases I got to thinking that there might be some real treasures out there.  I've started reviewing the weekly auction items that get posted and so far there has been nothing that has caught my eye.  To be honest I really don't need anything and I should probably go through my own house and clean out some of my junk.  They do say that someones junk is someone else's treasure...

Yesterday, Kristal, Stephen, Laine and I ventured south along the Scottish coast as it was a beautiful sunny day.  A rare event this winter as Scotland has had more than 6 months of on and off snow.  March actually set a new record for the coldest March on recorded history for Scotland!  I really need to move to a warmer climate.

Our main goal was not to be out enjoying the beautiful weather, but to head to one of Kristal's recently found thrift stores.  When we pulled up I was still skeptical but I followed the group through 4 buildings all while making comments of how each one needed this treasure or that one to complement their homes.

There were 2 buildings chocked full of just crystal and porcelain!!!  One building full of furniture, paintings, sculptures, etc... and the last building, which was HUGE was chocked full of EVERYTHING you could imagine!!!  Some of the pathways between items were so tight!

I did manage to discover a few decanters that came home with me.  They have similar patterns but I kind of like that they are all mismatched!

Crystal everywhere! 
More Crystal

Stephen, Kristal and Laine browsing

Furniture stacked 3 high!

How does one sort through all this?

See how narrow it is between isles!

Add caption

Boxes and boxes of records
More records

You can find all kinds of music if you are willing to search
Art of every kind everywhere!


My new decanters all cleaned up and on my shelf!

Someone else's junk can become your treasure at Steptoe's Yard!!

No comments: