Wednesday, December 15, 2010

3 Weeks down and ?? to go..

When it snows here it pretty much shuts everything down and the locals use the “severe weather” as an excuse for weeks after the storm has broken. I was supposed to get my TV installed on Dec. 7th. After contacting Sky regarding my installation I knew that the technician was due to arrive at my flat between 12:30 and 2:30 on that Tuesday afternoon. I walked home at noon so that I would be there well before he might show. I cooked myself some lunch and sat down with some reading material for work that way I could kill two birds with one stone. By 2:45 pm there was still no sign of the technician. I emailed my admin back at work to see if she thought I should just come back. When I got back to work I phoned Sky to determine what had happened. They told me that the technician had cancelled the service call due to the weather. I then proceeded to explain to the Sky customer service agent that it was in fact a clear and sunny day here in Aberdeen and that the roads had been clear for the past 5 days! To make a long story short, I needed to reschedule my appointment but there were no available appointments until the end of January!!! I was told to keep calling back every day to see if there was a cancellation spot that I could grab. After 3 days of calling back I was able to get a rescheduled appointment for December 23rd.

The Sky saga continues… I was scheduled to receive my phone and broadband on December 13th. I called Sky the morning of the 13th to verify what time the technician was scheduled to arrive. The Sky operator told me that for this particular appointment, a home visit by the technician was not required but that my phone line would be on and working by the end of the day. And that within 72 hours my router would be dispatch to me via the mail for my broadband. I asked the Sky operator again that no technician was in fact actually needed to visit my flat. I was assured by the Sky operator that this was the case. At 2:30 pm on that day I received an email from Sky stating that I missed my appointment with the technician and that I would need to reschedule and pay a 105 GBP fee to do so. I phoned Sky to figure out what the heck had occurred only to discover that yes in fact a technician was needed to switch on the phone line in my flat. At this point I explained what had occurred earlier that morning on the phone and was told that they would waive the 105GBP fee but that I would still need to reschedule for a technician. The kicker is that the earliest a technician can come out is January 14th!!!!!! I am so infuriated with by this!!!
The “severe weather” excuse roars it’s ugly head again but this time with a package that I am waiting to receive. I ordered a mattress topper for my bed since it’s like sleeping on a plank of wood. I ordered this mattress topper on November 29th, it was dispatched on December 2nd. The storm that blew in did keep the mail system from moving for a few days and I can completely understand this. The attempted delivery of the package occurred on December 9th. Because I live in a flat, no carrier will actually leave packages inside the main entrance, instead they leave a post card saying attempted delivery in your mailbox. The day after this attempted delivery I logged into the website on the post card to either rearrange delivery or find out where I could pick up my package. Both their website and their toll free number state the following: “We apologize that we are having to temporarily suspend the ability to select a redelivery date or arrange a local depot collection as a result of the severe weather conditions. Please be assured that your local depot will deliver your parcel at the earliest opportunity possible.”

2 comments:

whereswayno said...

Incredible. I'd be infuriated too. I guess they figure they can piss off anyone they want.

Unknown said...

And I remember from Alison's travels that she couldn't stand some things about Greece and Italy because they were such "disorganized" countries. Guess Scotland will be joining that list!