Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mount Keen - Munro #2

I finally got another Munro under my belt.  This one was part of my training for the Caledonian Challenge which is just under a month away!  Emily and I started off early this morning under a cover of low lying mountain fog with our final destination of Mount Keen by Glen Tanar.  At times it was quite thick especially as we were ascending Mount Keen. But alas we broke through the blanket of fog and was greeted by warmth and sun as we reached the summit.  In total it took us 8 hours to walk 18 miles.  The walk didn't pass without some foot issues.  I was trying out my trail running Merrell shoes to see if they would be a good fit for the flatter part of the Caledonian Challenge but they will not work.  I ended up with 5 blisters from them so I'm keeping those shoes for shorter forest walks and might possibly try trail running in them.. maybe.  I also realized I am starting to have issues with my regular hiking boots.  They are only a problem when I descend as my toes jam into the front of the boot, worst on the left foot.  Needless to say I was DRAGGING my feet by the time we reached the car and I am starting to seriously question my rational of this whole challenge...  what has possessed me to want to walk 54 miles in 24 hours!?!?!?!

If you would like to sponsor me in my efforts for this challenge you can do so here: http://www.caledonianchallenge.com/teams/UKAsset54milers


At the top of Mount Keen


Our mascot

No comments: