Saturday, May 11, 2013

Budapest

I have wanted to visit Budapest for many years now and with this being my last year living on this side of the pond I decided that I needed to move Budapest up to the top of my bucket list.  I made the decision to go to Budapest about 3 weeks before I actually went.  I check with United to see if I could get a "free" ticket using my miles and was in luck!  So far this year I have been able to book 4 flights using miles so traveling is becoming "cheaper" in terms of flights.. I'm just booking more expensive trips!!

I was originally going to Budapest by myself but last minute my friend Erin decided to join me.  We had an amazing tour guide, my friend Greg who lives in Budapest.  I met Greg through Julia last summer when Julia and I were in Iceland.  I was truly lucky with how well the trip came together and it was an amazing time.

We spent 2.5 days walking around Budapest, taking in the sights, shopping, eating and relaxing in the thermal baths.  Erin and Greg both flew out on Tuesday which left me on my own to explore the city and finish my shopping for the remaining 1.5 days of my trip.  I couldn't have asked for a more relaxing trip!

If you find yourself in Budapest I would recommend staying on the Pest side near St. Stephen's Basilica.  Definitely spend the money to go to the top of the dome for amazing 360 views of Budapest. We stayed at the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest and I would highly recommend it.

Things to see:
Szechenyi Baths
Royal Palace
Andrassy ut & Heroes' Square
Hungarian Parliament Building
Basilica of St. Stephen
Castle Hill
State Opera House
City Park (Varosliget)
All the Bridges
Nagycsarnok Market


Places to eat:
Trofea Grill Etterem
Pata Negra Tapas Bar & Restaurant
Puder Barszinkas es Galeria
Trattoria Pomo D'oro
Bookcafe


Basilica of St. Stephen

Inside the Basilica


Eating ice cream shaped like roses


Market

View from the Basilica dome




The ceiling inside the Bookcafe


Heroes' Square


Castle in the City Park



Bath House





Parliament

Castle Hill






To view the complete Photo Album


No comments: